Monday, February 6, 2012

The End of the Arrogance

So I ripped off my title from the song "The End of the Innocence". Now it's stuck in my head...but I digress...

Last week was a very interesting week for me. It had me feeling extremely humbled and doubting myself due to some occurrences and situations in my life that just were not going my way.  Oddly enough, in that same week that I was feeling unlike my usually pretty confident self, I was told by one person that I come across as being arrogant, and was then told by someone else that another person had called me arrogant very recently.  Needless to say, I found some irony in the fact that I was told I am perceived by multiple people as being arrogant during a week when I felt much less sure of myself than I even usually do.

The thing that struck me odd about people's perceptions that I am arrogant is that one just has to be around me a few minutes in a casual setting to realize that I'm not that way at all...at least I hope that's all it takes.  I'm a goofy person who doesn't mind ridiculing myself in good humor, and I make it a point to try not to be prideful, and I thought I was doing a fairly decent job at it. It could be that my silent demeanor in some cases is misconstrued as not wanting to socialize, but I find that hard to believe since the only time that I really am quiet is when I'm around a girl that I really like and all the sudden can't find anything worthwhile to say. Who knows? I do realize that often times, those who are quick to peg others as being arrogant, only do so because they're insecure themselves...well, I guess a lot of the time, people really ARE just arrogant. Either way, my feelings aren't hurt. I just won't descend from my level to bother mingling with them....ohhhhhhh, now I see it! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment